Saturday, November 08, 2008

Thanks for Best Friends

When I got the news of my cousin Mark's on-duty death, I immediately called two of my oldest friends who were also close to his younger sister in school. When I decided to make the trip for his funeral (an 18-20 hour one-way trip), there were, of course, several details that needed working out. Some of those were already handled. Pam had already offered a place to stay. Donna offered a place to crash on the way. One more call to Paula, my oldest friend in Nebraska, and the pets and the house were handled.
None of these a big deal, right? But imagine not having this network of deep friendships that you just know you can count on. I could have boarded the dog and reserved hotel rooms, but the fluidity of our constantly changing plans would have either meant cancellations or additional charges for last minute glitches. No kennel is as welcoming as a house with two kids and a mom who love animals. No restaurant is as restorative as a home-cooked hot sausage sandwich with room for the kid to actually run around with a couple other boys. No hotel is as comforting as a home with a hug waiting, a comfortable bed that you actually KNOW is clean, and a Wii to distract the kid (okay, and the adults) while you prepare for another impossible day.
The depth of these friendships provides that one bella was watching my Facebook status updates as we crossed the country and called to tell us lunch would be ready when we got there. It means that when plans changed (again!) while we were there that another amiga didn't seem to notice that a weekend with our dog turned into a week. It allows for estimated comings and goings to be off by hours and then worked seamlessly into the routine by a third cherie.
I am humbled by the by the knowledge that these ladies look at their contribution last month as hardly worth mentioning, a matter of course. I am awestruck that I have even more friends like this who just happened not to be on the route this time who would have done any little or big thing needed.
Donna, Pam, Paula: I love you and I cherish you more than I have the ability to say.

2 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Honey, we love you too. I wish we hadn't had to see you under those circumstances, but I'm so glad we were able to be there for you when you needed it.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Also (just to be a smartalec)... Holy crap! You still have a blog!

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home