Saturday, June 20, 2009

What a difference a week makes

Last week at this time, I was not a spinner. Didn't own a spindle. Didn't even think I wanted to. Then Pam came to town. We went to the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival. We met FuzzySheepCrafts there.

And, I swear this is the truth, the pair of them ganged up on me and forced me to purchase some roving and a drop spindle. Pam shoved me to the ground and held me while CBear forcibly removed my wallet from my bag and paid for it all. Anyway it went something like that.*
So once we were back home and the kid was in bed, Pam propped my eyes open with toothpicks and forced a lesson upon me. I mean, 11 o'clock at night...who does this??? I'm pretty sure she infused the fiber with some sort of drug because I was laughing myself silly and became addicted to the rhythm of the spinning. For days afterward I found myself saying things like "It's been 5 hours since I've spun anything," and having a dream about plying wool with a strand of oh-so-fine cotton. I have no idea how to ply!

Since I got started, I figured I might as well keep going, and by last night I had spun the whole ball of roving!

Then I remembered Pam telling me something about setting the twist in the middle of the night. After some IMs and Google searches and a trip to Lowes, I made this:

And wrapped for a while...

Hey look! Yarn! And I'm a spinner...

...with an empty spindle....

*Okay, it may have been more like Pam was admiring some other roving when I said, "Ooh, that's pretty." And then the vendor mentioned that what I was admiring would be a very good roving to learn on. And then I reached for my own wallet. Everything gets a little fuzzy at a fiber festival. Hee.

4 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

HEE!!! It looks TERRIFIC! Seriously - you took to it so beautifully!

Advice - get a pack of those little paper tags, and make notes on it - what the fiber is, how much there was, and how much yardage. You do NOT want to have to count the wraps every time you think about using it.

And I love that your spindle got a little stained from the fiber. :D

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Great job! How fun!

I kinda want to try it now! Darn you two!!!

Of course, I'd have to have a certain lovely lady sitting right next to me to show me how!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

AWESOME! :D

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Corrina said...

That is beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home